The MyStrength Campaign was developed by Men Can Stop Rape, a nonprofit organization based in Washington, D.C. whose mission is “to mobilize men to use their strength for creating cultures free from violence.” Since beginning to implement the MyStrength curriculum more than 15 years ago, the Monterey County Rape Crisis center has tailored the material to keep it up to date and as relevant as possible for Monterey County students.
MyStrength works to reconstruct the traditional model of masculinity in a way that creates space for all individuals to feel respected and empowered to become their best selves and stand against violence of all forms. MCRCC’s MyStrength program is centered around weekly leadership clubs at local high schools. These clubs aim to prevent sexual violence by:
- Promoting and inspiring leadership
- Breaking down harmful gender norms
- Discussing the foundational elements healthy relationships
- Empowering students to promote the MyStrength message outside of club by providing them with the necessary knowledge, skills, and language
- Instilling activism through campus-wide events during April for Sexual Assault Awareness Month
- Equipping youth with bystander intervention skills
- and more!
While the MyStrength campaign was originally geared towards men, MCRCC’s MyStrength clubs welcome students who identify as men, as well as those whose gender identity and/or expression is impacted by society’s narrow definition of what it means to be a man. This includes, but is not limited to, students who are transgender, gender non-conforming, genderqueer, and gender non-binary. In addition to weekly club meetings, students organize awareness-raising activities on their school campuses and participate in community events during April, Sexual Assault Awareness Month.
You can find MyStrength clubs at Salinas High School, Seaside High School, Marina High School and Gonzales High School. For more information on the MyStrength program please contact one of our Prevention Educators at (831) 373-3955 or email email@example.com.